56 Different Names For Sugar You Should Know

you should resist ice cream
11 Foods You Should Resist But Can’t Stop Eating
August 1, 2020
digestive system
Top 7 Foods That Mess Up Your Digestive System
August 30, 2020
different names for sugar
Spread the love

Tricky Names Used To Hide Added Sugar In Food Labels

Sugar enhances the texture, flavour, and shelf-life of processed foods. The added sugar in processed foods is a mixture of simple sugars like glucose, fructose, and sucrose. Other types of sugars, like lactose, maltose, and galactose, are less common. Excessive consumption of sugar can lead to many harmful results. As a result, food labels indicate the presence of sugar and its daily value percentage to help consumers avoid excessive sugar consumption. However, there are so many different names for sugar, how can you make informed choices?

Here are the fifty-six different names for sugar that you should note.

1. Sugar or sucrose.

Sucrose is the most common name for sugar, and it occurs naturally in many plants and fruits. It comprises 50% fructose and 50% glucose. Table sugar is also called sucrose. You can find sucrose in many processed foods, including pastries, soda, cookies, candy, ice cream, fruit juices, cereals, processed meat, canned fruits, and ketchup.

READ ALSO: Top 5 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight

2. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is made from corn starch and consists of both glucose and fructose. Many sweeteners contain HFCS. The two most common forms of HFCS found in foods and beverages are

  1. HFCS 42: This form has 42% of fructose, and the remaining 58% is glucose and water.
  2. HFCS 55: This is the most common form of HFCS. It has 55% of fructose, and the remaining 45% is a mixture of glucose and water.

You can find HFCS in bread, cakes, ice cream, cereal bars, candy, and soda.

3. Agave nectar or syrup.

Agave nectar or syrup comes from the agave plant. Most people will use this as a healthier substitute for sugar because it doesn’t spike the blood sugar levels like other sugars. However, it contains between 70-90% fructose and 10-30% glucose.

You can find agave nectar or syrup in many healthy foods like fruit bars, cereal bars, and sweetened yoghurts.

4–37. Other sugars that contain both glucose and fructose.

These sugars contain both glucose and fructose but in varying degrees. They include:

  1. Raw sugar
  2. Cane sugar
  3. Date sugar
  4. Beet sugar
  5. Coconut sugar
  6. Golden sugar
  7. Castor sugar
  8. Grape sugar
  9. Muscovado sugar
  10. Panela sugar
  11. Invert sugar
  12. Yellow sugar
  13. Confectioner’s/powdered sugar
  14. Icing sugar
  15. Demerara sugar
  16. Treacle sugar
  17. Turbinado sugar
  18. Brown sugar
  19. Honey
  20. Molasses
  21. Blackstrap molasses
  22. Caramel
  23. Carob syrup
  24. Golden syrup
  25. Maple syrup
  26. Buttered syrup
  27. Sorghum syrup
  28. Refiner’s syrup
  29. Fruit juice
  30. Fruit juice concentrate
  31. Cane juice crystals
  32. Florida crystals
  33. Rapadura
  34. Sucanat

38–52. Sugars containing glucose.

These sugars are made up of either pure glucose or glucose combined with other sugars asides fructose. They include:

  1. Glucose
  2. Glucose solids
  3. Dextrose
  4. Maltose
  5. Lactose
  6. Dextrin
  7. Maltodextrin
  8. Ethyl maltol
  9. Diastatic malt
  10. Barley malt
  11. Malt syrup
  12. Rice syrup
  13. Brown rice syrup
  14. Corn syrup
  15. Corn syrup solids

53–54. Sugars that contain fructose only.

There are two sugars that contain only fructose, and they are used as sweeteners.

  1. Fructose
  2. Crystalline Fructose

55–56. Other sugars that contain neither glucose nor fructose.

These sugars are less sweet and not as common as their counterparts, but you Can find them in some sweeteners.

  1. D-ribose
  2. galactose

Sugar occurs naturally in vegetables, fruits, and dairy products. As a result, you cannot altogether avoid sugar in your diet, even if you tried. It is safe to consume naturally occurring sugars in whole foods. The health problems associated with sugar consumption is due to the massive amounts of added sugar in processed foods.

If you choose to buy packaged foods, be on the lookout for these sugars and their daily percentage value. Or better still, switch to eating healthy, whole foods.

 

You can stay connected with us on social media for amazing and value-adding content.

INSTAGRAM
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM

BeYAH Fitness
BeYAH Fitness
BeYAH Fitness was born out of a desire to reach, educate and inspire a greater number of people than those we coached and worked within our own local community. It gives us the chance to connect with individuals from all over the world and in a form that still personalizes the approach to bring each person what they need for their nutrition at that point in time.